Pigmentation is caused by an excessive amount of melanin found in certain cells on the body’s skin. These cells usually carry a higher level of “melanocytes”, which produce the melanin that causes individual areas to become discoloured.There are numerous factors that can cause the appearance of pigmentation. The most common is excessive sun exposure and hereditary factors but is can also be caused from hormonal changes such as pregnancy and the contraceptive pill.
Pigmentation is a skin discolouration that appears as brown or pinkish marks on the face and body that are darker than your natural skin colour. Almost everyone has some form of pigmentation, whether that be freckles, sun spots, birth marks, or moles.
At SILK Laser Clinics, treatments will be performed on the Candela GentleLASE 755nm Alexandrite Laser by an experienced and Laser Safety Certified technician. This is a Medical Grade 4 Laser and is one of the most effective and advanced machines available. The laser causes selective heating to the upper dermis with minimal harm to the overlying epidermis. It creates a controlled wound healing response within the skin causing the pigmentation to deepen in colour. A crust will then form and take up to 14 days to flake away. Depending on your pigmentation concerns, a Skin Rejuventation treatment using the PicoSure Laser may also be recommended to ensure you receive the best possible outcome.
If the recommended post treatment procedures are followed and the treated area is cared for and correctly maintained then the pigmentation is unlikely to return. Pigmentation caused by sun exposure may gradually reappear overtime however SPF and tyrosinaise inhibitors can significantly reduce this.
Depending on the type of pigmentation being treated, clients will need between 2-6 treatments. The effectiveness of the treatment will be determined by the type, colour and depth of the pigmentation along with the condition of the skin. A test patch will be performed prior to undergoing treatment and is reviewed to determine the likely success of the treatment. Complete clearing of the affected area may not be possible and will depend upon the type, area and colour of the lesion.
It can depend on the type and size of the area being treated, most treatments can be completed within 5 to 30 minutes.
The heat from the laser is concentrated at a superficial level so it is likely that the client will experience some discomfort while the treatment is being performed. The treated area can feel like sunburn for up to 48 hours afterwards, however cold packs and SILK Soothing Gel should be used to reduce redness and inflammation.
Following the treatment, the pigmentation will initially appear darker and can continue to deepening in colour for 48hours post treatment. After this time the pigmentation will then being to crust and gradually flake away. This process can take up to 14 days depending on the condition of the skin prior to treatment.
Most clients report a 70% or greater improvement over the duration of their course of treatments.
Your technician will need to determine the exact area that needs to be treated and can provide you with a personalised quote at your consultation. A full price list is available on our website.
All treatments will be performed by our highly trained and laser safety certified SILK Laser Technicans.
All areas of the body can be treated, but most clients will treat areas often exposed to the sun such as face, neck, décolletage and hands.
The medical grade lasers cannot cause permanent scarring as it doesn’t cause damage to the Dermis layer of the skin. Any damage caused during treatment is superficial and will disappear with time, if looked after appropriately.
It is extremely important not to affect the skins pigmentation in any way prior to or after the laser treatments. Such exposure can cause hypo and hyper pigmentation, impairing the effects of the laser treatment.Please avoid the sun or solariums for 4 weeks prior to treatment and at least 4-8 weeks after treatment. Be sure to also apply SPF regularly while you are exposed to the sun and do also not use any form of tanning throughout your treatment, including tanning sprays or lotions.It is due to this, the majority of our patients undergo pigmentation removal during the autumn and winter months, when UV burning is at its lowest.
All clients undergoing Pigmentation treatment at SILK will be required to prepare the skin 2-4 weeks prior to undergoing laser treatment in order to ensure client safety and achieve the best possible results. You will be required to use the following products: TYROSINASE INHIBITOR
- Inhibits the transfer of melanin to skin cells
- Has the ability to correct the DNA of defected skin cells
- Strengthen the nucleus of a cell to protect from damage
- Increase cell turnover to assist in removal of affected or pigmented skin cells
- Photo protective properties
- Free radical scavenger
- Mild skin exfoliant
- Increase production of collagen
- Protects skin cells from harmful UV rays
- Retain the skins ability for collagen formation
- Maintain healthy moisture levels in the skin
During the consultation your technicians will guide you through the post treatment care guidelines. The most important aspect of this is to ensure the use of the SILK Soothing Gel directly after the treatment as this will help to reduce inflammation while protecting the skin from infection.
There are only a few medications that could possibly affect the treatments of laser hair removal. These medications include Roaccutane and Retin-A as both of these medications can alter the integrity of an individual’s skin. It is recommended that Roaccutane be ceased 6 months prior to treatment and topical Retin-A at least 2 – 4 weeks prior to treatment. Some medications may have blood thinning or photo-sensitising properties which can increase the risk of an adverse reaction, so it is important to bring along a comprehensive list of any medications or supplements you are on to discuss with your technician prior to treatment.
- I think SILK have top quality machines that do the job you pay for. I've been to a cheaper place before with no results. I'm now doing touch ups once a year and I love it thanks SILK (Elizabeth)Gen, Elizabeth
- I wanted to thank you personally for the service that I've received so far during my treatment at SILK. While I'm only about half way through my treatments, my results have been out of this world and for someone who has had thick "European" body hair up until now, and had to plan trips to the beach\swimming centre with my kids around my waxing schedule this has been a revelation.You have honestly given me my life back and I am so thrilled to refer you on to anyone and everyone I know. I can't quite figure out why I waited until this point in my life to do it.Sharyn, Unley
- My skin is looking good, rejuvenated and fresh. Everyone at work has been intrigued by the whole process and comment positively every time they see differences. Most are amazed at how well it has worked, as am I. This process has been amazing and satisfying, as I HATED my freckles.I'm very happy!Sash, Gumeracha
- Great prolonged results, quick and painless. Friendly Staff!Emma, Burnside
- SILK have been professional, efficient, and conducive to some excellent results!Melody, Ridleyton
- Should have done this years ago! Beats shaving!Nicolle, Windsor Gardens
- The treatments were quick & painless, and the staff are always friendly & professional. I am really happy with the results!Lydia, Adelaide
- I would recommend SILK to anyone who wants their services. They are fast, effective & long lasting!Jessica, Newton
- Getting Laser Hair Removal is one of the best decisions I've made. You won't regret it!Hannah, Adelaide
- Very happy with the service and results. I used to struggle with ingrowns, but ever since laser I haven't had any issues. No more ingrown hairs!Monica, Mawson Lakes